Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

11 Apr

When I was twelve years old, I got into a strange bout of entertainment depression. I’d come to the conclusion that no books and very few movies were interesting enough to hold my attention. During that bout, somewhere in late winter, I was browsing the children’s section of my library with little hope of finding anything suitable to my frighteningly picky desires. That was when I found the book series (authored by Joe Craig) that defined my literature experience for nearly a year.

Jimmy Coates: Assassin, the first in an eight-book series about an eleven-year-old boy with a mysterious secret: he’s not human. Well, not entirely, anyway. Jimmy’s DNA can be traced back to a test tube in a laboratory. Designed with stunning intricacy, Jimmy is a mere 38% human, the other 62% genetically modified assassin, created by the British government for the British government. Jimmy is programmed to be a fully functional killer by the age of eighteen, his human thoughts to be completely swamped by the killer inside. But that killer is not who Jimmy is. Even though his powers have been activated [very] early due to unforeseen dangers, eleven-year-old Jimmy will fight against the government, even against himself if he must, to escape a destiny that he has forsaken.

And there it is. That is all I ever wanted to read for a year. I don’t think I have to explain how much of an identity crisis I had when I realized that when I grew up I only wanted to be 38% human. But that’s not what this is about. This is about patience and how it pays off.

When I finished what was published of the series (book six of eight), I was thirteen years old.

I’m sixteen years old now. No new books have come out yet.

Obviously, I’ve read different books since then – the series helped me come out of my anti-book shell. But no new Jimmy was read. Not until now. Just a little while ago I learned that the next in the series, Jimmy Coates: Blackout, is being published in June. June. This June.

I’m no longer a part of this book’s intended audience, thanks to the extra three years the waiting process provided.

I’m much too old for Jimmy now, and the crush I used to have on him has been rendered rather inappropriate.

I don’t even remember how the last book ended.

But there is no way these things are going to stop me. Come June, I’m going to enjoy the heck out of that book whether I like it or not. Twelve-year-old me would be so proud.

All this to say, friends, family, and Fangirls, waiting pays off.

So hang in there, Sherlockians. (or should I say Holmesless Network?)

Your time is coming too.

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Good Things Come To Those Who Wait”

  1. The Voyager April 11, 2013 at 5:59 pm #

    Who cares if you’re “too old”?! Some things are so amazing that it doesn’t matter what age you are: you’ll always love them. (Harry Potter, for example.)

    Also, I like the “Holmesless Network” quip. haha

    • Emory April 11, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

      Exactly! Some things have a way of sticking with you through the years! And Holmesless Network… Yet another thing I wish I’d thought of first. 🙂

  2. thewanderingballoon April 12, 2013 at 7:54 pm #

    Three years is too long! How dare they!!

    • ihaveaumpalumpaonmyhead April 13, 2013 at 8:33 am #

      IT’S SOOOO LONG!!! I cannot live any more 😦 but they’re filming season 3!

    • Emory April 13, 2013 at 9:49 am #

      Oh, darlings, I know. Three years is something like terrible. But the waiting shall pay off!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. The Super-Sweet Liebster Award | Freak of Fandom - August 20, 2013

    […] What book has influenced you the most in your life? Jimmy Coates: Assassin by Joe Craig. It was the story to get me out of my anti-book slump, and it was the first book (series) I ever fangirled over. (I couldn’t not write about that experience) […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: